I had been on the hunt for the perfect cabinet for my makeup room. I knew I wanted something tall that had glass paneling on the doors and drawers or cupboards were a must; and to achieve the look I was going for, it needed to be white. I looked everywhere and finally found something from Ikea that I could make work. Sadie and I planned a trip to Utah while I was in Idaho for the month, I was so excited to buy that cabinet but a bit nauseous I’d be spending $300 on something I wasn't obsessed with. While at Ikea Sadie talked me out of the "big purchase" that I was already hesitant about. She suggested we repaint the china cabinet that was in my parents’ basement that housed the many dolls and knick knacks we received throughout our childhood. I was a bit hesitant, I was sure my parents wouldst mind letting us have it but I couldn't see the vision because I loathed the detail work on it...... Sadie reassured me that it would look amazing so we went for it!
List of Supplies for this project:
10 12 oz. cans Valspar Micromist Spray Paint, white w/satin finish
Very Fine Steel Wool
Drill Bit (for predrilling hardware)
New Hardware (6 Handle pulls and 2 knobs)
Plastic drop cloth
First we took the inside glass shelving out, taped off the glass doors with painters tape, removed the hardware (handles and knobs), put nail filler in the bottom hole since the new knobs were a single hole not a double hole, and lightly sanded the surface with a fine grit sandpaper.
I momentarily had a lapse of judgment when we were picking out the paint, NEVER skimp on quality paint! Needless to say the paint we use ended up being a great primer! Ugh!.....I was sick about it!
We put everything away for the night and the next morning I ran to Lowes to grab legit paint! Later that evening we sprayed everything we had done the previous
night and we LOVED the way it was looking!
The new paint I bought was a paint and primer in one (Valspar Premium Finish with Micromist Spray) and it was a satin finish, it worked perfectly! Once the cabinet was completely dry we decided to distress it with “very fine”grade steel wool (found at Lowes). This was the first project that I've used the
steel wool for....it worked really good! Next time I’ll use a higher
grade to make it more distressed with less work! The original color ofthe cabinet was the dark brown, (shown above) the wool worked amazing! That’s exactly what we wanted so we didn't have to darken the distressed area at all with varnish or glaze!
While Sadie distressed, I drilled holes for the hardware (we did not fill the previous hole with "Nail filler" because the new handle pull covered it) and attached them. I found the bit at Lowes for under $4 and the diameter was the same as the screws that came with the handles.
Once we were finished distressing and attaching the hardware we removed the tape and connected the top and bottom pieces.
Here's the cabinet at its new home in Retreat Day Spa! We LOVE LOVE LOVE how it turned out and its just what we were going for!!
Total cost under $100! THANK YOU LOWES! Saved over $200 and we have a better quality cabinet! I couldn't be happier with the final results!
Welcome to Clover
Lane!! We are Cassie & Sadie and this is
our fun little creative outlet. We are sisters and we seriously live to eat, and love to
laugh and craft! We
are so glad you have joined us!
Amazon Affiliate Disclosure
This blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC. Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertisng and linking to products on Amazon.com
Western Realty--Our real estate agents are the top in their field and are committed to our Buyers and Sellers. We cover real estate in Southeastern Idaho including Blackfoot Real Estate, Idaho Falls Real Estate, Pocatello Real Estate, Driggs Real Estate, and specialize in residential, commercial, and investment properties.